Thursday, February 18, 2016

Born Again!


In October of 2012 I was participating in my first National Bible Quiz Competition in the Unites States. Since I was the only one from my city competing at that time, I had to fly out by myself to Dallas, Texas to re-unite with my team. At the end of the weekend my pastor and my team mates saw me off at the airport as I again, flew alone back home. 

I had just buckled up when a flight attendant came by and asked if I was willing to give my seat to a mother who was flying with her two children. I said sure, I was travelling alone after all, it mattered little to me where I sat. I was moved to a window seat beside a young blond Hispanic woman. I had thought she was travelling at first with the man that sat on her side by the aisle. 

The plane took off and we made some awkward conversation about the flight instructions and how boring they are after you have heard them a few times. I wasn't very forthcoming to converse at first, because I am usually shy around strangers. However, I remembered that as a Christian, I should do my utmost to be friendly, amiable and show God's love towards others, despite it going against my comfort zone. As I am a very competitive person, I saw it as a dare and I challenged myself to conquer the moment.

I asked her about her trip if she was coming or going. She told me she had just been to Mexico City with a friend. She had toured all the cathedrals there and she mentioned how she thought it was ridiculous that there was a saint for everything! This caught my attention. For this testimony I 'll name her as Blanca.

She in turn asked me about my trip. I explained her my situation, but she was so curious and her intrigue encouraged me to continue talking as it is rare for someone to take interest in these things. She continued to ask so many questions that to explain one thing I had to go further and further back until I found myself telling her about my whole life. Running through the details of how my decision to memorize the gospel of John came from my desire to hide God's word in my heart; how that desire began to grow while I was studying at a Bible Institute in Guatemala for two years, how my decision to study there was a product of my experience in home school and the great need I had felt for God in my adolescence. 

She marveled at the devotion I had at a young age (then 20), but I mentioned how it was my parent's rearing that made me the person I am now. Their discipline and guidance, their lives. When I was a child perhaps they may have seemed a little strict, but then I was used to it. Now that I am an adult I see the reasons and the wisdom of their decisions and respect them even more for it. 

What came as a surprise to me was when I finished, Blanca told me-I know God put you here on purpose. Those words gave me goosebumps. She told me how recently or at different times in her life God had been sending a Christian person to her. She felt he was sort of surrounding her.

Her testimony is beautiful, but I will not give too many details about it here out of respect, because it is not my story. I will only mention the details necessary to complete this testimony.

It seems that since a very young age God had been guarding her, despite of her catholic family and the religious role her mother wisher for her to carry out. She had always felt that she could speak to God personally and never liked the idea of praying to "saints". She was the only one of her family that refused to convert to Catholicism. Once she told me that her life and her words of encouragement had helped convert an old friend of hers and even his family. 

I think it is interesting to mention how during our conversation people who sat all around us were looking from time to time. I saw people from across the aisle turn and hear bits of our conversation, how a person behind us popped their head to see us and one in front, craned their head to take a look, but I decided to ignore that factor. I just thought they looked funny doing that. But nobody said anything.

But with some frustration she expressed how she couldn't understand how she helped lead that man to Christ and how he now had joy and peace and she couldn't achieve that in her own life!

We continued to converse, but the conversation would return to salvation, of her desire for that peace that she sensed in me. She wanted it so bad.

 I sensed her plea and desire of salvation, but I was also VERY confused. She seemed to know a lot about God, about the Bible and salvation. I didn't understand what the problem was though. 

I couldn't help myself and finally asked- So, what is stopping you? I was trying to figure her out.
She answered-Well, I guess, myself.
Bertha also told me how each time she sensed her strong need for God and a desire for him, usually old friends that were a bad influence would pull her away and make her forget that feeling.

I was still confused. I began to pray to God, how do I help this woman? What do I say to her? Holy Spirit, please  guide me!

Finally I felt a voice within me say ask her if she wants to be saved. Ask her.
I thought-What? No, I can't do that, there are still two more hours of flight! If she says no, it would be a very awkward flight back home, I thought nervously.

Then I thought-Why don't you want to do it? Are you embarrassed? Embarrassed of what? God? And in an instant I said in my mind-Oh no! God I don't want to fail to do this because of that! 
I saw it again like another dare, and I was going to beat myself. 
-OK God, but please help, help me! I have never done this, I don't know how to do this.
But I had to begin somewhere. I opened my mouth and asked her.

SHE SAID YES!!!

I held her hand as we prayed together. Afterwards both of us had tears of joy. She joyfully said that she felt as if she could breath easier now. She felt a burden fall off of her and she felt right away a peace that filled her heart as she clutched her heart with joy.

God works wonders! He had every detailed planned, from changing my seat to the person who was picking her up. A Christian friend who never invited her anywhere except to go to church with him. It turned out he was the only one of her friends that could do her the favor that night.

We shared emails, but unfortunately I misplaced it and she never contacted me, but I know she is in God's hands and God has a time and place for everything. Perhaps all he wanted from me was to simple be there that night and be the lighthouse whose beacon guided her towards the light.

The souls belong to God and he gave me Bertha only for that moment, but I do pray for her and whatever became of her...one day I hope the Lord will show me. Now she is again in his hands for safekeeping.

It was a joy beyond description to be there and witness her re-birth. A new life in Christ is something marvelous. No words can express it. I thank God for giving me that opportunity and for giving me the guts when I needed them.






No comments:

Post a Comment